Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Pieces of slate...nope, not pieces of eight.

Do you have any idea how difficult it is to write on slate from an old barn roof?!
It's bumpy, and peels.
I suppose I could have used paint instead of chalk, but I thought chalk was a good choice in case I decide to change the wording.
 The patina on these pieces is amazing!
I've had them stored in the shed for about a zillion years. While cleaning that same shed, Mr. L found the slate and asked if I wanted him to dump them......WHAT?????? okay....I held my breath for a minute, then said in a calm, relaxed voice....."ARE YOU CRAZY??!!!" 
I brought the slate inside and washed it off. Then I sat and stared at it for a day, or maybe two.
Hmmmmmmm. I said to myself.


Then I got out a piece of chalk, and started writing.
It was a daunting task.
I tried to keep the letters from getting all blotchy, and blumpy....
I don't claim to have the best hand writing......as you can see for yourself to be true.
I also don't keep things from going downhill very well going freehand.....next time I'll use a ruler.
Anyway...I just couldn't let these beautiful patin....nud pieces sit any longer.
So I'm using them in the kitchen for now. There is a huge piece that will go over the stove.....after Mr. L. drills another hole in the top for hanging.
Hopefully, by then, I will learn a few more French words. I only know things like "wine and beer", and "bread and eggs"....and, oh yeah....bon appetit...is that how you spell it????

3 comments:

  1. Love this idea, and it looks great. If you wet the slate, just like a chalkboard, your writing will be deeper and standout better.
    Look like you have been busy and thanks for the card! Made my day, girl. ;)
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great, wine and beer is good:@)

    ReplyDelete