Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The letters.

Hello bloggers and people that just look at blogs..
Today I'm writing about something that I've been doing for my family, that they don't know about....yet.
 I've always been a journal type person. I write down feelings...good and bad.  But, I didn't want that to be all my family had to judge how I felt about them each personally.


So I have an envelope for each of my three girls, and one for my husband.

Every once in awhile I take them out of my desk, and write them each a little letter.
I want them to know how much they mean to me.  Or how happy I am each time something wonderful happens in their lives.
Yesterday was a letter writing day.

For my oldest, Kelly, I wanted her to know how much I appreciated the time she and Kayla came up north to visit with me while I was in the hospital. They spent the entire afternoon. Kayla brought games for us to play...it was something I will never forget.
 For Erin, my middle daughter, I wrote how much Sadie, her youngest, reminds me of Erin. Sadie looks exactly like Erin, and has that same sweet personality. I find myself just staring at Sadie, and my eyes fill with tears remembering when Erin was just a year old.


My youngest, Melissa, just married her youngest daughter's father(finally). I am tickled pink to know that Kevin will be there to take care of Melissa and the two girls...and their new baby that will be here around Christmas.

For Mr. Lakehouse, I leave letters about how much I love and appreciate his unconditional love for me. All the times I've been ill, and believe me, there have been some scarey times, he's been right there with me. When I had the brain tumor removed, he slept on the tile floor next to my bed in the hospital room...just to be close.
I don't let him know, enough, how much that all has meant to me.
 So.....after I am gone, someone will finally clean out my desk. They will find the envelopes filled with gratitude, and love They will have something they can hold in their hands, and look at....and know how much they meant to me.

It may sound like a morbid thing to do....but...just in case I haven't told them enough about how I feel, they will know....

16 comments:

  1. I am sure they know. But what a sweet and tangible thing to have when it's important to hear your voice. hugs♥olive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie- they know. I did the same thing about 13 years ago when things started changing and the doctors had no clue and no one was very concerned about it. They just kept passing me from one to another. I wrote them all letters...the boys were still in school, and I wanted to leave life instructions and something of me that they could turn to when life got hard. I even wrote down my funeral wishes. They are in my dresser drawer.
    Maybe I need to update them and stick another note inside.
    You know- we never know when our time is going to come.
    Never leave anything left unsaid, no one unhugged and take time to say I love you.
    It's not morbid- it's getting ready. Making sure that those who matter most are taken care of and making your passing from their lives a little easier. It's saying I am so proud of you forever.
    Great post- maybe others will take the time to leave a forever note.
    Hugs- Tete

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful and loving thing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful thing you are doing. I don't think it's morbid at all, in fact, I am doing something similar, but in a scrapbook format. I'm making two of them. One for my daughter, so that she can one day see herself through my eyes. And one for my husband, reminding him of all the blessings he has bestowed upon my life. I absolutely LOVED this post! And just in case I forget to say it...I love you too!~Hugs...M

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie..what a thoughtful and lingering waay to remind them how much you love them and think on them.
    I have a box similar to this idea and i have some items in it and notes in it to my children too...this my friend is such a beautiful way to minister to their hearts for the years to come ....xoxo

    Deborah xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is beautiful Debbie and I know that they will love each letter and cherish them always. I bet they know how much you love them and leaving something behind is a way to hold on to your love forever. :)
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  7. Debbie,
    You are just the sweetest thing!!!
    Not many people take the time to write letters anymore and what a wonderful idea for your loved ones to find these letters someday.
    You are just too sweet!!!
    How are you feeling? I think of you often and hope you are doing well.
    Suzann ~xoxo~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful Post Debbie ~ What a Sweet & Loving thing to do..... You always have such wonderful thoughts & advise! Hope you have some cool breezes at the Lakehouse, it is down right HOT here (95 in my little place)!
    xox
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  9. Debbie, that is such a sweet thing to do for your family! That is so thoughtful and loving. I'm sure they will love reading their "love" letters! You will be around for a long time, but when the time comes what a treasure you will have left them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think this is morbid at all...you are sharing your love with the most important people in your life! You might even choose to give them the letters as a gift one day and they can thank you!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Debbie-I so love this. Why does it take something scary to make us realize the important things in our life-God, Family, and Friends. I think about this a lot and hope I can learn from courageous and strong women like you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie-
    It almost made me cry to read this post because it made me remember how sick you were last fall/winter. It made me think that those letters could have been given out already except for the grace of God.

    I knew we were alike in many ways. I have letters for my children too...but what I have not done is gone back and add to them. What a great idea. I also have special pieces of jewelry set aside (that I traded out for working in a jewelry store) for some of my granddaugters..(the ones that were born wehn I worked there)..for when they reach the age of 16. I guess I am going to have to pony up for at least one more piece...maybe two! lol

    Hope your day was wonderful-I am working all week! ugh- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  13. Debbie,
    What a special thing to do. It will mean the world to them one day when they get the letters.
    Hope you are having a great week.
    hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a wonderful idea!
    Not only will the sentiments be memorable but to have them in your handwriting will be special as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How is it that I'm just now coming to your blog? No worries....I'm here now and following. I look forward to going through your archives.

    ReplyDelete